Each county is divided into 4 Commissioner Precincts, the boundaries of which are determined by population. Each commissioner is responsible for road maintenance throughout his precinct.
The 4 Commissioners, along with the County Judge, make up the Commissioners Court. The Commissioners Court is responsible for setting the budget for all county departments and adopting a tax rate. See current tax rate information here.
The Commissioners Court is also responsible for:
- Setting personnel policies and benefits for county employees;
- Oversees the construction and maintenance of county roads and bridges;
- Provides for rural ambulance and fire protection;
- Provides for filling vacancies in elected and appointed positions;
- Setting precinct boundaries for the Commissioners and Justices of the Peace;
- Other duties as provided by law.